Sunday, February 22, 2015

Bohemian and Cedar Waxwings

First off....it's been awhile. February is naturally a tough month for birding so I haven't been doing much of it sadly. Yesterday I received an email from Tom Pirro that he just had 4 Bohemian Waxwings in Gardner in a crab apple tree in a front yard. I had to be at work in 3 hours...Gardner is 45 minutes from me... I had to chase! Bohemian Waxwings are lifers for me! 60 min later I arrived at the destination.....Waxwings!!!!....but all Cedars. They would fly off but return within 5-10 min. I was confident that they would return and with them Bohemians would join the party. 5 minutes before I had to leave and all Waxwings were gone. I had at that point focused on an Eastern Screech-Owl that I found sunning itself. After snapping a few photos of the owl I started to leave for my car...4 birds were on the tree....I could tell instantly without any optics what they were....BOHEMIANS in the final minutes! Made for a great work day! Thanks again to Tom Pirro!



Cedar Waxwing-Gardner #52

Bohemian Waxwing-Gardener #53



Other Photos from the trip

Eastern Screech-Owl

No comments:

Post a Comment