Wednesday, June 17, 2015

The most unexpected breeding bird of the year photographed

While looking at the species list for Worcester County while preparing for this year I checked off some species that most likely/definitely I wouldn't be able to photograph. Among them...Golden Eagle, Long-eared Owl, Short-eared Owl, and definitely not an Eastern Whip-poor-will. I am still surprised that I have never come across one roosting while birding. Granted I have never truly looked for them. Last night during a break from work I headed to Pine Hill Grasslands in Lancaster so I could hopefully at least add Eastern Whip-poor will to my year list as I've been slacking lately because of lots of issues going on at home. Within 10 min of arriving I had a bird singing. So I started to leave and then I heard one right next to my car. Then another one came flying in as to find that calling bird. I couldn't ever imagine that I would have this species so close to me. It wasn't even dark yet and I was getting great close looks at these birds. I didn't have my camera with me because I was working. I did have one land in a tree next to me and I got a horrible but identifiable photo of one! I cannot believe it!

Eastern Whip-poor-will- Lancaster- #175



No comments:

Post a Comment