Wednesday, October 28, 2015

New County Bird.

For a few years now I've been scouring Wachusett Reservoir in hopes of finding a Red-throated Loon. I've always come up empty. For whatever reason I never had much luck with these birds inland, which is the case for a lot of people. Last night I started work at 11pm and finished at 7am. I wasn't tired when I got out so I decided to drive around Wachusett Reservoir. I was looking for Snow Buntings, Red-throated Loon, and Red-breasted Merganser. Only bird of note were two Red-necked Grebes. They were so close I could hear them calling! At this point I figured I'd go home and sleep before my 3 boys came over for the night. Laid down for 5 min and had the urge to bird again.  Off to Quabog Pond and Lake Lashaway. Quabog looked dead. All he Gulls were just off shore so I figured what the hell let's check them for a rarity. After that I scanned a dead Pond.....then wait....what's that....immediately I knew it was a Red-throated Loon. Took my record shots and called a few local birders. I then continued on to Lashaway where I photographed the Dunlin and 2 White-rumped Sandpipers. I am now at 202. What will I finish at? Next goal is 205. Could I get 210 if the finches come?!?!

Red-throated Loon - Brookfield #202


Upgrades

Purple Gallinule


Dunlin


White-rumped Ssndpiper


Red-necked Grebe


No comments:

Post a Comment