Saturday, May 9, 2015

A few expected birds.

Yesterday there were two Cape May Warbler's at Broad Meadow Brook. They were right in the parking lot. I went and tried for them but unfortunately I couldn't see them. I thought I heard one singing but I was 100 percent so I didn't count it. I spent a few hours at Westborough WMA clearing my mind. I was heavily distracted and only half-ass birded. I basically was only looking for Wilson's Warblers and Black-billed Cuckoo's. I had over 50 Yellow Warblers and over 20 Blue-winged Warblers. One of the best area's for Blue-wingeds. There were also 2 Orchard Orioles at the ballfields entrance. I still get excited seeing them. The biggest letdown was when I had a Swainson's Thrush 20 ft from me and then disappeared into thin air before its photo could be taken. I was able to upgrade a few photos although not the best but better than what I had.

Today I decided to bird an area that I have been to but never really birded before. Wells State Park in Sturbridge. There were a good amount of Wood Thrushes around. Love hearing that song. I also really enjoyed hearing 2 Brown Creepers sing. That's a great song! Another one of my favorite songs that started as soon as i walked into the park...Winter Wren.  I was able to tally 45 species in a little over an hour. I added Great-crested Flycatcher, Bobolink, Ruby-throated Hummingbird, and Scarlet Tanager.


Wells State Park

Scarlet Tanager- Sturbridge #156

Great Crested Flycatcher-Sturbridge #157

Bobolink- Southbridge #158


Ruby-throated Hummingbird- Charlton #159



Upgrades


American Redstart



Yellow Warbler

No comments:

Post a Comment