Sunday, April 5, 2015

Happy Easter...and BIRDS!


I woke up at 6am with the intention to hit up Dexter Drumlin for the Snow and Greater White-fronted Goose. I figured if I got there at sunrise I would have the best chance before flocks of geese depart. Well that didn't happen. I didn't have enough time to do that before the kids would wake up and then I would miss the Easter Basket and Egg Hunt! So I thought I'd just stick around Millbury and find a Fox Sparrow. I headed to Cross St Powerlines. An eBird hotspot.  I was quickly approached by a National Grid Security Guard who said I couldn't be where I was. Long story short I said I'll do whatever I want on this public property. I told him to call the police and wait for them while I continued on birding. Short time later the Police showed up. I said I am birding...on public land and I am sorry these security guards wasted your time. He said I had a right to be there and wished me Happy Easter as I left. What's even better is I was able to get a Fox Sparrow. This is a new town bird for me! While photographing the Fox a Field started singing and I was able to get that out of the way as well.

I went home for some early morning Easter activities till it was time to pick up Bagels. I made a detour to Dexter Drumlin. I was able to finally get a Snow Goose. The Greater White-fronted Goose must have moved on.

In Charlton, at my parents house I wandered into the backyard down to the swamp. I haven't birded to much at the house and on the property (except if you remember my 1st Common Redpoll of the year and a photographed Pileated Woodpecker). The Pileated was calling quite a bit. I was unable to find the nest cavity but I know its there. While enjoying some peace and quite in the woods away from the house full of about 30-40 people I heard a Fox Sparrow start singing! There ended up being 2. What a great day for them! Later in the day Bart Kamp called me and left a message stating that he had found 4 Glossy Ibis at Bolton Flats. It was tough sitting on this all day. Realized as we were driving home I could make it before sunset. 40 min later....Boom 4 Glossy Ibis...and the Snow Goose again. My feet and legs are still in pain. I had to walk in almost knee deep called river water that flooded the area to get to the Ibis. But, as a birder....its worth it....So many birds to be had this week. Then its my birthday weekend!




Fox Sparrow- Millbury #81




Field Sparrow- Millbury  #82

Snow Goose- Lancaster #83

Glossy Ibis- Bolton #84

No comments:

Post a Comment