Friday, April 17, 2015

Out and about

I needed some outdoor time today. Needed to get out the house and clear my mind, if only for a few hours. I started at Alan Marble's house waiting on his Purple Finch's to NOT show back up. I went to Purgatory Chasm in Sutton and the first bird I heard when I got out of the car was the Blue-headed Vireo. 2 males were singing and willing to be photographed. I then headed on over to get my Swallow game on (is that appropriate?) I was able to photograph a Northern Rough-winged Swallow that nest under the dam at West Hill Dam in Uxbridge. I thought I was going to be done for the day however Tim Spahr's Westborough WMA report came through and the Ruddy Duck and Great Egret sightings kept eating me alive. I have never seen breeding plumaged male Ruddy Ducks. I did get to see 3 of them. It was awesome! I knew I would get them in the fall but these were spectacular. Great scope views but horrible photos. I did find the Great Egret despite Tim stating it landed somewhere and didn't have a pinpoint on where it was. I was able to add Blue-gray Gnatcatcher and Brown Thrasher to top the day off. I couldn't refind the Northern Shoveler but I did have 43 species at Westborough WMA. Not bad.


Blue-headed Vireo- Sutton #103


Northern Rough-winged Swallow- Uxbridge #104


Ruddy Duck- Westborough #105


Blue-gray Gnatcatcher- Westborough #106

 Great Egret- Westborough #107

 Brown Thrasher- Westborough #108


Additional Photos and Upgrades.



I don't think I have ever seen 2 Brown Thrashers together never-mind 2 in 1 pic.


Yellow-rumped Warbler

Great Blue Heron

No comments:

Post a Comment